The Clingendael Institute is a leading think-tank and diplomatic academy in the field of international relations. The research and training programmes of the Institute focus on international security, conflict, European affairs, diplomatic studies, and international energy issues. Clients of the Institute are ministries of foreign affairs, defence, development cooperation, economic affairs and justice, as well as international organisations, non-governmental organisations and the private sector.
From April 2017 – 30 September 2017 the team working on irregular migration of the Clingendael Conflict Research Unit (CRU) has an opening for an :
Intern (irregular) migration in the Sahel and Levant –
Conflict Research Unit
for 36 hours per week (full time)
Vacancy number: CRUINT.17.03.06
The Conflict Research Unit (CRU) is a specialised team within the Clingendael Institute, conducting applied, policy-oriented research and developing practical tools that assist national and multilateral governmental and non-governmental organisations in their efforts to develop and implement more effective policies and programming on stability, development and rule of law in fragile and conflict-affected countries. This internship focuses on the effect of EU migration and refugee policies on conflict dynamics in regions of origin, such as the Sahel and the Levant.
- Continuous monitoring of the international debate on migration and refugee policies
- Research assistance for a project that measures the effect of the irregular migration industry on local conflict dynamics in Agadez (Niger)
- Research assistance for a project that studies refugee coping strategies in Lebanon and Jordan
- Contribute to writing background material, drafts, and web content.
- BA degree relevant for this internship and current enrolment for MA degree (e.g. African studies, Middle-Eastern studies, political science/IR, conflict studies).
- Fluent in French and/or Arabic
- Excellence in research and research methods, good English writing skills.
- Service minded, social skills, capable of reaching deadlines.
- Capable of working independently on the basis of instructions, team player.
- Network-oriented, feeling at home in international environment.
- The opportunity to gain practical, policy oriented research experience in one of Europe’s top ranking think tanks, in close cooperation with our researchers and stakeholders as policy makers, academics and (international) organizations. Ability to build up a network in the field.
- A stipend of € 300,- gross per month (in case of 36 hours per week).
For more information, you can contact Fransje Molenaar. Further information about the procedure can be obtained from Ms. Greetje Clymans, HR advisor, 070-3746695.
Interested candidates can send an application letter together with a curriculum vitae no later than 19th of March to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the vacancy number of the position you are applying for in the subject of your e-mail as well as in your application letter CRUINT.17.03.06